Friday, November 8, 2013


I have never felt spiritual darkness as I did on Halloween night.  As every Thursday, I went with the Unfading Beauty ministry to downtown Ensenada to walk the streets and pray.  We split into two groups.  Prostitutes were dancing in windows, and the bars and night clubs were packed, with loud music and beaming lights.  Everything seemed to scream evil.  Huge mobs of college kids ran up and down the streets, dressed as witches and demons, scaring innocent children.  As we were praying, I kept repeating Psalm 91:7-8:  “You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the destruction that wastes at noonday.  A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.”  The mobs did not come near us.  As we were literally walking through the valley of the shadow of death, I felt the Lord’s hand of protection over us. 

One leader in our group felt led to plead with God for the sake of one righteous person, like Abraham did over Sodom and Gomorra.   Later, we found out that in that exact same place that the other team had been approached by a woman named Maria.  They talked with her for a while and found out she was a prostitute.  She’s going to meet with Lizbeth and Corina in the next few weeks.  It’s so cool how God is working even amidst the darkness!  Please pray that Maria would come to know Jesus!  I’m amazed that God chooses to use us, as weak and apathetic as we are.

                On Monday I had to chance to be part of Casas de Esperanza (Homes of Hope).  This YWAM ministry builds modest but secure homes for needy families.  As the families came to the base to apply for a house, we made an effort to share God’s love with them.  The DTS students led worship, performed a skit, served food, and played with the kids.  These boys and girls are so precious.  Many of them look and smell as if they haven’t had a bath for weeks, but they are so excited to play with you and talk with you.  One girl took off her bracelet and gave it to me as a gift.  I felt so rich there.  Why am I so well off?  God has blessed me with so much.

                On Saturday we are performing songs in Spanish we created in our co-writing groups.  We’ll be using the songs in outreach.  There are two Christian bands from Ensenada that we’ll be performing as well.  We are stoked for tomorrow! 

                This upcoming Tuesday we’re going to the wilderness for team building week.  We don’t know where we are going and didn’t receive too many details, except for a list of the things we’re allowed to bring… which is not much.  Deodorant, toilet paper, and toothpaste are not permitted.  I don’t feel as if we need to give up using toothpaste in order to be united.  This may be the hardest part of the DTS yet for me.  The girls in my room know I brush my teeth constantly.  (Lol!)  I am not very open to the possibility that God wants to teach me something through this.  Lord, show me if I am wrong.  J 

No comments:

Post a Comment